Emergency Preparedness is a state of mind for a growing number of people around the World. It is estimated there are some 4 million active preppers in the US alone.
It is important to make sure your entire family is prepared and informed what to do in the event of a disaster or emergency. You may not always be together when these events take place and should have plans for making sure you are able to contact and find one another.
PSG suggests some basic steps to make sure you remain safe:
- Meet and discuss your plans with your family.
- Discuss how to prepare and respond to emergencies that are most likely to happen where you live, learn, work and play.
- Identify responsibilities for each member of your household and plan to work together as a team.
Plan what to do in case you are separated during an emergency
- Choose two places to meet
- Right outside your home in case of a sudden emergency, such as a fire
- Outside your neighborhood, in case you cannot return home or are asked to evacuate
- Choose an out-of-area emergency contact person. It may be easier to text or call long distance if local phone lines are overloaded or out of service. Everyone should have emergency contact information in writing or saved on their cell phones.
Plan what to do if you have to evacuate
- Decide where you would go and what route you would take to get there. You may choose to go to a hotel/motel, stay with friends or relatives in a safe location or go to an evacuation shelter if necessary.
- Practice evacuating your home twice a year. Drive your planned evacuation route and plot alternate routes on your map in case roads are impassable.
- Plan ahead for your pets. Keep a phone list of pet-friendly hotels/motels and animal shelters that are along your evacuation routes.
Let Your Family Know You’re Safe
Following a disaster, if you are able, register with any emergency organisations that may have been despatched to your area (Red Cross, World Health Organisation or even Military Units). This will enable family members to locate you and know you are safe.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.