The Perfect Bug out Bag
A Bug Out Bag carries the essentials you will need to survive when faced with most disaster situations. In the event you need to evacuate prior to or following a Shit Hits the Fan situation, you should prepare a Perfect Bug Out Bag / Go Bag that meets all the needs of your own Personal Disaster Plan.
Choose a good Bug out Bag
There are many options available that make for a good Bug out Bag and options will vary greatly depending on where you are are based but provided you stick to a few essential rules when deciding on your Bug out Bag you can’t go far wrong:
- Choose a good robust and branded design … Berghaus, Karrimoor etc
- A Waterproof design is preferred.
What to you include in your Bug Out Bag / Go Bag:
There is no “one size fits all” list for the perfect Bug out Bag ! What you pack into your own Bug out Bag depends very much on your own personal preferences and your own disaster plans !
The following list will give you a good idea of the sort of items you should consider packing:
Knives and Tools
There are several things to consider when choosing which knives and tools to carry with you in your kit. Whilst any knife or tool you have with you could be considered the best survival knife / tool ! I strongly suggest that if you are able to select / choose your knives and tools you have with you, ensure you invest wisely and choose reliable products !
All to often I see Youtube Videos showing Bug out Bag contents and Get home Bag contents containing what I consider way to many knives and tools just creating extra weight to carry ! My personal kit consists of 1 Morakniv Bushcraft Black Survival, a Bahco Laplander folding saw and a Leatherman Wave. I see little point several survival knives or duplicating use by packing both Axe and Saw !!
Documents and Financials
- Copies (or originals) of all your important documents and Disaster Plan in a waterproof / portable container.
- A copy of your Disaster Plan
- Credit Cards, ATM Cards, Cash (possibly small quantities of Gold or Silver in 1gram ingots).
- Extra set of House and Car keys (especially if the use of your Vehicle is part of your Bug Out Plan).
- The Best LED Flashlight you can afford (I personally use a wind up model to save reliance on batteries).
- Zip bags (these will help keep things dry).
- 6 – 8 Large (120 litre) heavy duty refuse bags.
- Good Quality Pencil Sharpener (ideal for making kindling for fires).
- Fire Starting Kit.
Fishing and Hunting
- Fishing and Hunting Kit (include fishing line / hooks and snare wire).
Food and Water
- Drinking Water (3 Litres)
- Good sized Collapsible Water Bottle
- Water Purification Kit
- Protein / Energy Bars (Qty 6)
- Dehydrated Meals (Qty 3)
- Solid Fuel Cooker
- Mess Tins
- Eating utensils
- Lightweight Long Sleeve Shirt
- Convertible (Zip-Off) Pants
- Wool Hiking Socks (Qty 3 pair)
- Good Gloves (Leather)
- Combined Safety / Sunglasses
- Sleeping Bag
- Ground Pad
- Wool Blanket
- Survival Blanket
Personal Hygiene and First Aid
- First Aid Kit
- Personal Hygiene Kit
- Sewing Kit
- Insect Repellant
Useful items to include
- 550 Parachute Cord (50′)
- Duct Tape (25’)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.